General Information 

All students may register online through myMILLS via the Mills Portal during the designated registration periods.

Prior to registering, all students must consult with their advisors regarding their course selection. The advisor must approve the student's course selection before the student will be allowed to register.

Registering online requires that the advisor release the registration hold that has been placed on the student's record. Therefore, only students who have made arrangements for their advisor to release this hold will be able to register online. Students who wish to register in the M Center must have a registration form signed by their advisor.

Refer to the Academic Calendar for registration dates and deadlines.

Priority Registration

Continuing students will have access to online registration during the Priority Registration period. Class level will determine when access to Priority Registration will begin. Exact Date for registration are included on the Academic Calendar. Please note, not all programs have summer courses. Exact dates for registration are included on the Academic Calendar. 

New Student Registration

Entering and readmitted graduate students register during the New Student Registration. Exact dates are available on the Academic Calendar. New graduate students will be contacted by their department about the registration process. 

Final Registration

Students that did not register during the designated Priority Registration or New Student Registration periods will be able to do so without penalty during Final Registration. 

Late Registration

Students wishing to register after the Add Deadline must petition the Academic Standing Committee (ASC). Late registration does not excuse a student from the regular assigned work of a course. Students who do not register for any course by the Add Deadline will be administratively withdrawn from the College.


Course Selection

The fall and summer course schedule is available online in late March; the winter and spring course schedule is available in early November.

Before students can register online, they must consult with their assigned advisor to finalize their schedule and obtain approval of their course selection. Students may access Student Records/View Student Information in their myMILLS account via the Mills Portal to confirm their advising assignment.

Course Levels

Graduate students should enroll for classes at the appropriate level for their degree program:

  • 100 level: Advanced undergraduate courses (restrictions apply)
  • 200 level: Master's
  • 300 level: Credential
  • 400 level: Doctorate

Class Meeting Times

Classes that meet three days per week are scheduled for 50 minutes, or a total of 150 minutes of instruction per week. Classes that meet two days per week are scheduled for 75 minutes, for a total of 150 minutes of instruction per week. Seminars are scheduled for one class meeting per week for 150 minutes. Evening classes are generally scheduled for one meeting per week for 150 minutes, although occasionally a class may meet for 75 minutes, two evenings per week.

Canceled Courses

Courses may be canceled at the College's discretion. In the case of a course cancellation, students will be dropped from the class and notified by email.


Adding or Dropping a Course

Students may make changes to their registration as needed by adding or dropping courses online during their designated Priority Registration or New Student Registration periods, or during Final Registration.

During the Add/Drop Period, students who wish to add or drop a course may do so online without penalty up to the Add Deadline. If adding a course that was closed for registration, the signature of the instructor is also required.

After the Add Deadline, students may add a course only with the approval of the Academic Standing Committee (ASC). If the petition is approved, the course will be added to the student's schedule. Add/Drop forms are available online.

During the Late Drop Period, the two weeks between the Add Deadline and Drop Deadline, students may drop a course by completing an Add/Drop form and securing the signature of the advisor. Courses that are dropped prior to the Drop deadline will not appear on transcripts. Exact dates are available on the Academic Calendar.

Students making changes to their registration must refer to the Tuition and Fees Adjustment Policy and Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy. 

Students may not drop all courses in a term via online registration. Dropping all courses requires taking a Leave of Absence or Withdrawal from the College, which is handled through a different process. Students wishing to drop all courses should refer to the Attendance Requirements section of the catalog for information about Withdrawal or Leave of Absence.

Withdrawing from a Course

Between the Drop Deadline and last day to withdraw from a class, students may withdraw from a course by completing a Registration Withdrawal Form, securing the signatures of the advisor and instructor, and submitting the form to the M Center. Courses from which a student has withdrawn will appear on the transcript with a 'W' grade, which is not used in calculating the student's GPA. Students should refer to the Academic Calendar for the exact Drop and withdrawal deadlines.

Registration Withdrawal forms are available online.

Unofficial Withdrawal

Students who do not formally drop a course and who have not attended the course may receive either an 'F' grade or a 'UW' (Unofficial Withdrawal) at the discretion of the instructor.


Grade Options

Students who wish to change the grading option of a course may do so online during their designated Priority Registration or New Student Registration periods, or during Final Registration. Changes to grading options may be made online during the Add/Drop period or by completing an Add/Drop form during the Late Drop period and securing the signatures of the advisor and instructor. After the Drop Deadline students may change the grading option of a course only with the approval of the Academic Standing Committee. Students should refer to the Academic Calendar for the exact deadline.

Pass/No Pass (P/NP) Grading Option

Graduate students may elect to register for a course on a "Pass/No Pass" basis, but no course graded in this manner may be applied toward the degree (with the exception of EdD students who take their EDUC 497 Directed Reading for Dissertation and EDUC 450 Dissertation Research courses for "P/NP"). 

Variable Credit

Courses that are listed in the catalog with a range of credit give the student the option to choose the amount of credit they wish when registering. Students wishing to change credit value for these courses may do so online during the time they have access to online registration, prior to the Add Deadline. Students should list the course with the original credit amount as a drop and the same course with the new credit amount as an add. Refer to the Academic Calendar for exact dates.

Auditing a Course

Matriculated students may formally audit a course with permission from the instructor and faculty advisor. Auditors do not participate in class work, take examinations, or receive credit, and they may not subsequently request to receive credit by examination. Full-time students do not pay an additional fee to audit a course; part-time students may refer to the Tuition and Fees section of this catalog for information regarding the costs associated with auditing courses.

Matriculated students who choose to audit a course may register for the course or change the grading option during the time they have access to online registration. Under no circumstances will a student be allowed to register to audit a course after the Add Deadline. In addition, students will not be allowed to change a grading option to or from 'Audit' after the Add Deadline.

Students who drop all course work except an audited course must complete an Application for Auditor Status, available online and in the M Center.

Audited courses cannot be repeated for credit.


Individuals who are not regular degree-seeking Mills students are welcome to audit Mills courses. Auditors do not participate in class work, take examinations, or receive credit, and they may not subsequently request to receive credit by examination. An Application for Auditor Status is available online and requires the signatures of the student, the instructor, and the head of the applicable department. Once these signatures are obtained, the form is submitted to the M Center and the student will be enrolled in the course(s). The auditor may attend the class only after the form is submitted and the fee has been paid. Refer to the Tuition and Fees section of this catalog for information regarding the costs associated with auditing courses. Mills does not provide transcripts for auditors. 

Audited courses cannot be repeated for credit.

Special Courses

Advanced Teaching Practica

These courses cover a variety of directed and supervised experiences in classroom teaching. They are restricted to students who have appropriate background and proven ability, as determined by the faculty supervisor, and require approval of the head of the department in which they are undertaken. Students enrolled in advanced teaching practica are not permitted course overloads. Advanced teaching practica are numbered 277 in the department concerned. Students must submit an Advanced Teaching Practicum Enrollment form, available in their graduate department. These courses are "P/NP" only.

Individual Music Instruction

These courses, open to all students, are available for individual instruction in composition, voice, and a number of instruments. Placement in these courses requires an audition with the Music Department. The generic course is numbered MUS 225 and is graded for students in the Music Program and "P/NP" for non-Music majors.

Students who wish to enroll in individual instrument or voice instruction should register for the generic course as listed in the Course Schedule. The student must then contact the Music Department for an audition in order to be placed with an instructor. Once placements are confirmed by the Music Department, the specific course and instructor will be added to the student's schedule and the generic course removed. Since auditions are a part of the process, students should not assume that they will be enrolled in the class.

Students who have registered for the generic music instruction course and are not placed with an instructor will be responsible for dropping the course.

Independent Study

Students with proven ability and sufficient background in a given subject may apply for an independent study course in that subject area. Independent study courses are offered for a maximum of 3 semester credits and are officially numbered 295, 395, and 495 on the graduate level. Independent study may be undertaken only upon the recommendation of the head of the department concerned after departmental discussion. Independent Study forms are available online and in the M Center. These courses can be taken for a letter grade or as "P/NP."


Graduate students typically do not enroll for internships. Field practica and field-based experience for credit is under the guidance of the department in which the student is receiving a graduate degree. Such practica are usually directly related to the student's career goals and academic program, are arranged by the faculty in the department, and are awarded credit and taken for a letter grade. Before arranging an internship through Career Services, students should check with their advisor about department policy regarding community work or field experience. Internships must be approved in advance by a faculty supervisor, the faculty advisor, and the Academic Standing Committee; therefore, retroactive approval is not permitted.


Students who wish to participate in Mills' cross-registration program must complete the Cross-Registration Permit, which requires approval of each institution's registrar, the student's advisor, and the instructor of the course. The student attends the first class session at the host institution to secure the instructor’s signature. (See the cross-registration program webpage for eligibility requirements, participating schools, deadlines, and procedures for enrolling.) Graduate students will not receive credit for lower division undergraduate work.