Masters of Arts in Educational Leadership, Emphasis in Independent School Leadership
This program is designed to enhance students' knowledge, skills, values, and practical experience, enabling them to design effective school change and become leaders at independent schools. The program includes course work and guided fieldwork experiences that are specifically geared to meet the needs of independent school educators. Students also develop connections to an extensive network of cooperating schools. Students in this program earn an MA in educational leadership degree in two years.
- Cohort-based program: Students take classes with peers in the MA program, in addition to students in the Independent School Leadership Program. This allows them to learn with and from people who share a common interest in designing school change.
- Relevant curriculum: Course work is designed to foster in students the organizational strategies they will need to promote shared decision making with school members, families, and communities. The faculty develop the curriculum based on their experience and their connection with Mills graduates leading in local schools.
In addition to core courses, the Educational Leadership Programs offer two specialized courses in independent school leadership. These courses examine contemporary challenges facing independent school leaders, including the practical applications of education research and theory on practice. They also cover elements of independent school leadership such as fund development, budgeting, marketing, and public relations. Students create a professional portfolio as a capstone project. See the Requirements page for a list of courses required for this program; see the Course Descriptions page for paragraph-length descriptions of individual courses.
Students are mentored by the heads of independent schools. The work incorporates observation and interaction.
Graduates from this program strengthen their existing knowledge and skills for their current leadership positions and may obtain new leadership positions in independent schools as well as other educational settings in the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond.
Minimum of 40 semester course credits
The master's degree in education leadership with a concentration in private/independent school leadership is designed to enhance students' knowledge, skills, values, and practical experience so they can achieve their potential as leaders in independent school settings. The core curriculum of this program builds on the current school leadership program and is complemented with electives focused on independent school leadership. Within the context of their coursework, students will experience integrative projects and related fieldwork. The special features of the program include course work and guided fieldwork experiences specifically geared to meet the needs of independent school educators as well as connections to an extensive network of cooperating schools.
|EDUC 401||School Leadership||4|
|EDUC 404||Instructional Leadership||4|
|EDUC 407||Perspectives on Human Resource Management||4|
& EDUC 409B
and Field Experience
& EDUC 411B
|Independent School Leadership I|
and Independent School Leadership II
|Select one of the following:||2-4|
|Administrative Leadership: Theory, Concepts, and Practice|
|Fiscal and Business Services|
|School Law and Public Policy|
|Ethical and Moral Considerations in Educational Leadership|
|Issues of Race and Ethnicity in Education|
- Multiple Subject Credential
- Single Subject Credential in Humanities (Art, English, or Social Science)
- Single Subject Credential in Mathematics or Science
- MA in Education (MEET)
- Language, Culture, and Trauma Certificate in Teaching
Early Childhood Education
- MA in Early Childhood Education—MA/ECE
- MA in Education, Child Life in Hospitals—MA/ECE/CL
- MA in Early Childhood Leadership—MA/ECL
- MA in Educational Leadership
- Joint MBA/MA in Educational Leadership
- Doctorate (EdD) in Educational Leadership
- Administrative Services Credential
Infant Mental Health
Accelerated Degree Programs
- BA/MA Child Development & Elementary Education
- BA/MA Early Childhood Education
- BA/MA Early Childhood Special Education/Teaching Credential
- BA/MA Education/Teaching Credential
- BA/MA Infant Mental Health