The joint master's degree in public policy and business administration (MPP/MBA) at Mills College provides students with cross-sectoral skills in leadership, management, analysis, advocacy, electoral politics, and development of innovative policies and strategies. Our graduates possessing these well-rounded skill-sets are in high demand across various sectors including government, nonprofit organizations, social and business enterprises, community financial institutions, electoral politics, and leadership roles at the intersection of all sectors. Our stream-lined joint MPP/MBA enables students to reduce the time invested in securing their graduate degree without sacrificing academic quality, by tailoring requirements in each program to the needs of students interested in the nexus of public and private sectors.
Joint degree students take classes with MPP and MBA students and develop a broad network of peers in both the policy and business arenas. The joint MPP/MBA program at Mills is enriched by the co-location of the MPP and MBA programs in the Lorry I. Lokey School of Business and Public Policy building, a shared Career Services Office, and many student clubs and co-curricular opportunities that are available to all students in the MPP and MBA programs.
- Develop knowledge, skills, and dispositions to enact ethical and socially accountable leadership and decision-making
- Hone analytic skills relevant to problem-identification, problem solving, decision-making, and implementation in the business and policymaking arenas
- Develop understanding of how manage organizations for effective performance
- Acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to operate within a political system and understand political context of decision-making in the public and private sectors
- Gain solid foundation in economic theory and its application to policy and business contexts
- Develop knowledge and skills to be able to work across sectors (non-profit, government, and for-profit) and understand intersectoral relationships
- Hone interpersonal and teamwork skills for working in a diverse environment
- Develop written and oral communication skills for the professional environment