General Information

All courses intended to count toward the degree must be taken for letter grades (A–F) only, with the exception of dissertation preparation courses for doctoral students, which may be graded "Pass/No Pass" ("P/NP"). Letter grades are recorded as A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, or F. Although all grades will be calculated in the GPA, only courses with a "C" grade or better will fulfill degree requirements (see Repeating a Course). Credits are not earned for grades of "C-" or lower. 

PE Classes
Graduate students may take PE courses for "Audit" ("AU") only. PE credit will not count toward the graduate degree. 

Equivalents of letter grades are as follows:

Grade Description Points
A Excellent 4.0
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B Good 3.0
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C Satisfactory 2.0
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.0
D- .67
F Failure 0

Other grades used to report student progress are:

Grade Description Points
AU Audit 0 (Not computed into GPA)
AW Audit Withdrawal (registered as auditor, but failed to attend) 0 (Not computed into GPA)
I Incomplete 0 (Not computed into GPA)
IE Incomplete Extended 0 (Not computed into GPA)
NC No Credit 0 (Not computed into GPA)
NP No Pass 0 (Not computed into GPA)
P Pass (minimum of C- work required) 0 (Not computed into GPA)
PR In Progress (thesis and special courses only) 0 (Not computed into GPA)
RD Report Delayed (faculty has not submitted a grade) 0 (Not computed into GPA)
UW Unofficial Withdrawal (registered, but failed to attend after first three classes*) 0 (Not computed into GPA)
W Official Withdrawal 0 (Not computed into GPA)

* If the student is on your class roster, but failed to attend after the first three classes, a letter grade or P/NP is required.

Final grades are not subject to change by reason of a revision of judgment on the instructor's part or on the basis of a second trial, e.g., a new examination or additional work undertaken or completed after the date of the semester report.

The grade point average (GPA) of each student is obtained by dividing the number of grade points earned by the number of semester course credits carried. Master's and doctoral degree candidates and teaching credential candidates must achieve and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. Students in the post-baccalaureate certificate programs, and special, non-degree graduate students must maintain a GPA of 2.75 or higher. Grades for transferred courses are not calculated into the GPA, with the exception of grades for courses taken through cross-registration.

In Progress Grades

The temporary notation of "PR" (“In Progress”) indicates a course in progress. The “PR” grade is used only for thesis courses and other specifically designated courses in the School of Education that, by the nature of the course work involved, cannot be graded at the end of a given term. In the case of a “PR” grade for the thesis, students who do not complete their thesis during their period of candidacy will have the “PR” grade changed to an “NC” (“No Credit”).

A student enrolled in the Master’s Degree in Education with an Emphasis in Teaching (MEET) Program may receive a notation of “PR” in two instances, one related to completion of student teaching fieldwork required for a teaching credential and the other is completion of the final research paper required for the master’s degree. In the case of a “PR” grade for student teaching, students who do not make adequate progress each term or complete their student teaching fieldwork assignment within three years of their initial enrollment in any of the School of Education’s teacher credential programs will have the “PR” grade changed to an “NC” (“No Credit”). In the case of a “PR” grade for the final MEET research paper, students who do not complete their final MEET research paper within three years of beginning their post-teaching credential work will have the “PR” grade changed to an “NC” ("No Credit").

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend all classes for which they are registered. Academic work proceeds up to the date and hour of the beginning of holidays and semester breaks and resumes promptly at the end of such breaks at the time specified in the Academic Calendar. Students are accountable for any work missed by absence from classes.

Instructor Drops

Instructors may, at their discretion, drop a student from a class due to non-attendance at the first class meeting.

Examinations and Assignments

Faculty members establish the requirements and the nature of academic exercises and examinations. Examinations must be turned in at the scheduled completion time, and it is expected that all examinations and manuscripts represent the student's individual work.

An examination period occurs at the end of each semester. The faculty member concerned decides whether an examination is to be given in a particular course. The final examination, if given, may be one of two types:

  • a take-home examination with time and regulations determined by the faculty member
  • a scheduled examination—the class meeting time determines the time at which the examination is scheduled (see Final Examination Schedule)

Final examinations must be completed during the days designated as the final examination period on the Academic Calendar.

Graduate students registered in undergraduate courses submit to the same examinations required of undergraduates.

All assignments, projects, term papers, and course assignments are due no later than 5:00 pm on the last day of instruction. No examinations may be given by instructors during the last five teaching days of each semester.

Failure to take the final examination, or submit a paper or report that has been substituted for it, is counted as a failure in the examination. Exceptions are made for reasons beyond the student's control, at the discretion of the instructor. In such cases, students may submit an Incomplete Grade Request/Report form for the course. The course will be graded "I" until the examination has been taken, which must occur by the end of the following semester, excluding Summer and January terms. (see Incomplete Work).

Incomplete Work

When, for reasons beyond her/his control, a student is unable to complete the final portion of her/his work in a course, she/he may request to receive the temporary grade of "Incomplete" ("I"). When the outstanding work is submitted, the instructor will grade the work and the final grade will be recorded by the registrar with a notation of "Inc Grade Removed," which will appear on the student's transcript.

For a student to receive an "Incomplete," she/he must obtain an Incomplete Grade Request/Report form and file it with the appropriate information and signatures. The form documents the percentage of work completed, the grade for this work, the work remaining to be completed, and the date by which the remaining work is due. This form must be filed to Academic Records by the last day of instruction. In the case of a student's inability to take the final examination, a late Incomplete Grade Request/Report form, with documentation, may be submitted by the end of the final examination period. Without this form filed in the Office of the Registrar, the instructor is required to assign a letter grade. A student applying for an "Incomplete" should refer to the Academic Standing section of this catalog to determine how the "Incomplete" will affect her/his academic standing.

Faculty members may not assign an "Incomplete" at will; nor may students simply elect to take an "Incomplete" without sufficient cause. An "Incomplete" is not intended to permit a student more time for the work of a course than is normally allowed, and will not be approved unless the student has already completed a minimum of two-thirds of the course work.

The student must complete the remaining work no later than the last day of instruction of the following semester, or the date agreed upon with the instructor, whichever is earlier, whether or not she/he is enrolled at Mills. If the remaining course work is not completed within the required time, the "Incomplete" will become an "F."

In extraordinary circumstances, a student may petition the Academic Standing Committee for an extension of the "Incomplete" deadline. If approved, the existing "I" grade will be replaced by an "IE" grade indicating that an extension was granted. Students may petition for only one extension. Further extensions will not be granted.

The same policy applies to graduate students enrolled in undergraduate courses.

Grade Reports

Students may access their semester grades online in myMILLS via the Mills Resource Portal. Students who have not fulfilled their financial or other obligations to the College will not be able to access their grades until the obligations are met.

Grade Appeal Procedure

Any appeal of a grade must be undertaken before the end of the following semester or, in the case of graduating students, before graduation. Reasons for appeal are to correct an actual error in computation or an error in entering the grade, or to address cases where some part of the student's work has been unintentionally overlooked. The first step in the procedure is an informal consultation between the instructor and student. If the matter remains unresolved, the next steps involve an appeal to the department head and to the academic dean of the division. If the matter still remains unresolved, an appeal may be made to the provost and dean of the faculty, who will make a final disposition of the appeal.

Repeating a Course

Students may repeat any course in which they receive a grade of “C-” or lower one time.  Although the first grade remains on the record, the second grade is also recorded and calculated into the GPA. Credits are not earned for grades of "C-" or lower although the grade is calculated into the GPA. Students who have received a  grade of "C" or higher in a course are not allowed a reexamination therein, nor may they repeat the course. (Certain graduate-level courses may be repeated for credit, as noted in the course description in the catalog.)

Unsatisfactory Performance

If a student's work is unsatisfactory, an early academic warning may be sent to the student via email by the instructor during the semester. A copy of this early academic warning is sent to the Division of Student Life and to the student's advisor, who confers with the student regarding improvement of her/his studies.